| 
  • If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • Stop wasting time looking for files and revisions. Connect your Gmail, DriveDropbox, and Slack accounts and in less than 2 minutes, Dokkio will automatically organize all your file attachments. Learn more and claim your free account.

View
 

Meeting Minutes November 23 Nancy

Page history last edited by PEI RoadRunners Club 4 years, 9 months ago

Sponsored by  

Prince Edward Island RoadRunners Club

.

Can't see the full page??

Add your Name to Your

Membership Bib      

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 


Race Results
















 


 



PEI RoadRunners Club Open Meeting

 

November 23, 2015

 

Summary of what’s been happening with the club over the past two years (Bethany):

Two years ago the club lost a key member. There was no one in the president’s position at that point. Mike Connolly volunteered. The huge race calendar of 70-72 event was difficult to manage with the size of the group.

 

In late 2014, asked by Athletics Canada to come up with a sanctioning document. The point of the document is to ensure we have safe and professionally run races. Insurance and increased funding are all important. Stan worked on the document and the executive assisted – which involved researching what other provinces’ sanctioning documents looked like. All other provinces have a sanctioning document. It was rolled out in 2015 to mixed reviews. It was not well understood and not communicated effectively, which Mike admitted.

 

$2.00 per runner was added. Since the AGM, there has been a decrease in race numbers and decreased funds coming in from the membership. Alex Cyr was hired as a summer student to help.

 

Additional points:

 

We are volunteers. No one in the executive is paid.

 

Negative publicity in social media hurt the club.

 

Mike stepped down

 

Need to look at how to keep the club going, to increase participation, etc.

 

Need to put emotions behind and move forward in a positive, constructive manner.

 

Club cannot be sustained at the same number of hours previously given.

 

Discussion:

Maybe we need to define what is “successful” in relation to the club – what does success look like? - Billy

 

Funding, Sanctioning document, executive, focus/mandate, policy/constitution, website

 

 

Defining Challenges – Stan:

 

Website – 1. races listed in one location, 2. many races on calendar – small numbers at each race, 3. Man hours

 

No one approached to volunteer – maybe a member of the executive could look after volunteer recruitment - Cheri

 

Volunteers weren’t made a priority. 74 races in 2014, not everyone asked to be put in the calendar. - Janet

 

Communication

Equipment – signs, bibs, race clock etc.

 

Decreased membership

 

Dial it back – is club trying to do too much - Billy

 

Club is victim of it’s own success. How should we grow? - Rhonda

 

Communication, timely results, calendar - Billy

 

Race booklet – Salem sponsored in past and is willing to do this again. - Cheri

 

We lost points races – we went from 21 to 8-9 (maybe 10-11). - Janet

Under-age runners (same for sanctioning document)

To be a points race, need 3 years of well organized events and need to request to be added – it is not automatic.

 

Make challenges into opportunities

 

What do I get for my membership? The book is gone, the website has gone down, and price is up. - Cheri

 

Fee clarification – the fee supports the club, the website, Christmas party, discounts and insurance. - Bethany

 

What is our liability – is insurance necessary? - Billy

 

Ours is through Sport PEI ($1100 per year). - Janet

 

Regarding funding from Athletics Canada – do we get this through Sport PEI – we aren’t incorporated. - Francis

 

Funding hasn’t gone through but that’s why we wanted to be affiliated.

Do we need it? - Kent

 

Doc is a no-brainer – a good way to make sure races are safe and well run. $2.00 is okay if it is needed to maintain the club. – Lynne Anne

 

Safety is why there should be a sanctioning document. Race directors should have been consulted re: fees and the sanctioning document. - Janet

 

Document covers everything and is easy to run. Document not really the issue, the fee is the issue. - Is it unrealistic to ask for $50 or whatever, from races? - Brian

 

Monitoring and equipment – who’s going out to monitor events and see if they are doing what they are supposed to? - Janet

 

Suggestion -

Cooperative Style: 1/3 to club, 1/3 to charity, etc. - Each race has many distances but under one event. Maybe reducing number of events, each member must volunteer - Isaac

There are so many runs – way to be active and support non-profits and a lifestyle – Lynne Anne

 

Brand – maybe race directors should be more responsible for safety – we just put out guidelines and encourage directors to follow them. - Billy

 

We should look into what our insurance covers - Bethany

 

Good selling point – “why should you become a member?” – Lynne Anne

 

Insurance – if RoadRunners name on race, they could be sued - Tyler

 

Roadrunners vs. race director liability - Jamie

 

Rate depends on risk of event – pay per year based on membership and risk - Billy

 

Insurance protects executive and club - Ivan

 

Lots of research to be done. - Janet

 

Sanctioning Document – In July we voted to make changes for 2016. Didn’t make changes for the remainder of 2015 as some races had already taken place.

 

Change - $50 flat fee – includes date protection, equipment, listing in calendar, email reminders

 

Will $50 increase our liability? - Francis

 

Why not list multiple events – why do we need date protection - Janet

 

When the only option listed is a 25k, not everyone can do this distance – Lynne Anne

 

Mandate – healthy lifestyle – why wouldn’t we list all – date proctection conflicts with our mandate. Goes back to “what is it me want to do?” - Jamie

 

All races listed in the past, should be the same going forward. - Gary

 

Example – a 42 year race competing with a new, popular event – maybe decrease numbers for long standing race and we risk losing the old race - Stan

 

Small numbers at race – race director may not want to keep it going - Paul

 

Each person should take responsibility for the club and promote it – forget 2015. – Lynne Anne

 

Multiple races because some are not listed in calendar so not aware of conflict.- Cheri

 

Date protection a non-issue – competition brings better races. Well run events won’t go away. – Billy

 

How are we moving forward? Can members come to AGM and make motions? We are looking for direction. Changes can’t be made until AGM – Stan and Bethany

 

Managing date protection vs. motivating activity - Barb

 

Should have info on races in central place, communication is huge. - Christine

 

Funding – jackets, tank tops

 

First - decisions shouldn’t be made tonight – just input – and second – Club started by Parker Lund and Ewen Stewart. We are expecting too much from our club. Complaining but not stepping up won’t work. Need young members to continue on with the work of Ewen, and Parker. – Ivan

 

Communication of document important – with better communication, document may have been better understood.

  1. Full Calendar – Jamie Calendar/website

Outdated by the time it’s printed

Should have deadlines to get your race in. Full calendar on website

  1. Monitoring

  2. Insurance

  3. Sub-committee –

is calendar worth time, maybe a fund raiser night

  1. Access to equipment for race directors

Community and identity important

  1. Clothing

  2.  

Communication is a big deal – we can put minutes on website – voted on this in July

 

Meeting – open vs. closed – Janet

 

Communication – do we need a facebook page? Lynne Anne

 

Facebook page doesn’t represent the club – Bethany

 

If website is good – people will gravitate towards that – Barb

 

Sanctioning DOC – the document is staying, switching to $50.00 fee

 

Sanctioning doc should be brought to race directors – Janet

 

Age limits – Ivan’s race was sanctioned but a child ran it – another race turned people away due to age limits

 

What does membership think is do-able as a club? Is $50.00 okay?

 

We have bridges to fix – Janet

 

We gave for races and never asked for anything in return but built good will and good will made us a success – Jamie

 

General sense that we’ve lost that good will

 

See a waivering in good feeling – Isaac

 

In 2013, $600 was donated from race directors – Janet

 

Chip is about $5.00. Are costs scaring people away? If $50 works out to be less than $2.00/person, that would be good – Peter

 

We need a meeting with race directors re: the document and fees. They can maybe submit there date and let us know what they need.

 

What about follow-up to this meeting – Kent

 

Maybe executive meets, then meet with race directors, then another open meeting

Then people would see what direction we’re going in so they can speak up at the AGM.

Is AGM too late to implement change for 2016? – Cheri

 

Meeting is to give feedback to the exec. Suggest we start with a blank page – build club from the ground up – don’t look at what the club was/is. Focus on three things and do them well – don’t get stuck on old ideas. Maybe look at a three-year plan for change – Billy

 

Communicate to the race directors about what the document is for and why we need it – Maureen

 

Funding - $944 in sanctioning fees – some outstanding – a monitoring issue – Janet/Suzanne

Exec. Should work on this and have another meeting like this one in January – Francis

 

Janet offered to go to race directors right away

Explaning document is not open ended – need to explain and ask for feedback – Lynne Anne

 

Increase in race numbers could be related to the increase in fees – Brian

 

Is the decrease in points races due to the increase in fees? – Peter

 

What is the relationship between the Running Room and running community (collaboration) in other provinces – Lynne Anne

 

Finances discussed

Club needs to have a sub-committee maybe around finance – Barb

 

Janet offering to become the president until the AGM, but this needs to go back to the executive

 

At the meeting in January, attach the budget so people can see it – Rhonda

 

Christmas party is scheduled for December 19th at 6:00 pm

 

Motion to adjourn meeting by Paul McGuire and seconded by Ivan Gallant

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PEI RoadRunners Club - c/o Sport PEI, 40 Enman Crescent Charlottetown, PE C1E 1E6

"Encouraging Islanders to Adopt an Active Healthy Lifestyle!!"

"You'll Enjoy the Race - No Matter What Your Pace!!"

 

 

Comments (0)

You don't have permission to comment on this page.